Wednesday 27 November 2013

RAW;Medal of Freedom Recipient- Oprah Winfrey,broadcast journalists creator ...



Transcript

0:05
freelancing now
0:10
on my head
0:14
a show on myself welcome to the White House this is
0:19
one my favorite events every year especially
0:24
special issue as I look
0:27
this extraordinary group prevent vigils
0:31
and our opportunity to honor them
0:35
where our nation's highest civilian honour
0:39
the presidential metal-free and this year
0:43
its just a little more special because this marks the fiftieth anniversary
0:48
President Kennedy establishing this award
0:52
were honored by the way today
0:55
to have with us one my favorite people
0:59
Ethel Kennedy and a pretty good basketball player
1:04
president kennedy's grandson Jack
1:17
and those metal has been bestowed on more than
1:19
500 deserving people tonight i'm looking forward to
1:24
joining some of these honorees as well as members the Kennedy family as we pay
1:29
tribute to these fifty years
1:31
excellence and this morning we're honored to add 16
1:35
new names sack after having first her first child she said she'd like some
1:39
time out
1:40
focus our family devoted almost ten years
1:43
to raising five children but
1:46
Patricia never lost the is to practice law while
1:49
so-called
1:57
early on Oprah Winfrey's career her bosses told her she should change her
2:02
name
2:03
to Susie I have just pause here to say I got the same advice
2:14
of they didn't say I should be named Susan but they're
2:17
suggest I should change my name people can relate to Susie
2:24
that's what they said it turned out
2:28
surprisingly that people can relate to Oprah just fine
2:31
in more than 4500 up a so-so her shop
2:37
her message was always you can
2:40
you can do and you can be
2:44
you can grow can be better and she was looking for
2:48
rising from childhood poverty and abuse to
2:51
the pinnacle the entertainment universe by
2:55
even with forty emmys the distinction of being the first
2:59
black female billionaire oprah's greatest strength has always been
3:03
for Billy to help us discover the best in ourselves
3:06
my show Nikon ourselves munger
3:09
many devoted fans and friends
3:12
as well those fans rope I didn't know I had a light in me
3:17
until hope ur told me it was there what a great gift
3:20
and finally we salute public servants to strengthen our nation difficult to wrap
3:25
your brain around annual
3:27
I watched other people receive it i watch Maya Angelou received hers and
3:31
Sidney Poitier and never even imagined that I would
3:35
even ever be considered it's not the kind of thing that you
3:38
grow up I hope I get the matter love freedom so when i receive the call
3:42
from the president himself saying that this was happening
3:46
I hung up and I thought gee I didn't have an appropriate response because
3:51
there is no appropriate response I to be honored by your country
3:55
the highest honor in the land that says really the work that you have done
3:59
we respect and one are you for it
4:03
i mean there are however I don't know how you have a response to that
4:07
other than deep deep deep gratitude
4:11
which is what I feel today I was standing looking out over the
4:15
White House line in you know the Sun on my face in thinking about
4:19
the nearly five hundred other people who receive this award who
4:24
to me our American heroes to be
4:28
a on the same list with people like
4:32
ernie banks in mike got gloria steinem had there not been gloria steinem in her
4:36
fight for women's rights
4:38
I wouldn't even have had an opportunity in the work that I've done
4:41
on patricia wald in CT vivian until right so
4:46
to be considered in that Levi love
4:49
all those people is I would say the greatest
4:53
honor my life this is the greatest honor of my life and
4:57
officially as I was saying to the president I don't know if you need to
5:01
get another win
5:02
this is it learning how
5:05
to live a life a passion that if you follow your heart's desire and your
5:10
passion that your passion will lead you to your purpose
5:12
this is what I know for sure and that every person who was born has a calling
5:17
and actual real job in life to figure out what that calling is
5:21
and that calling will be that hard to desire that thing that burned inside you
5:26
that says
5:27
yes I can and I love this is this gives me my juice this makes me feel alive the
5:32
thing that makes you feel most alive
5:34
is the thing that you are to give back to the world and every person is here
5:39
to offer what they have to the rest of the world so
5:43
I tried to share that with young people and also a
5:46
the the need to be authentic you know I have built a career
5:51
analyte I'll be myself which
5:54
you know in the beginning I thought I could you know
5:57
watch barbara walters in for a while I think I was pretending to be Barbara
6:01
Walters and talk like barbara walters in
6:03
soon discovered early in my career that I could be a better
6:06
me better Oprah than I could ever be apart in barbara walters so I tried to
6:10
encourage
6:11
young people to look for a the
6:15
the the real work is to discover who you are
6:18
and to use who you are Oprah
6:22
G when free
6:36
Oprah G when free is a global
6:38
media icon when she launched the Oprah Winfrey Show
6:42
in 1986 there were few women and even fewer women of color
6:47
with a national platform to discuss the issues
6:50
and avenge shaping our times but over the twenty-five years that followed
6:55
Oprah Winfrey's and Nate gift for tapping into our most fervent hopes
7:00
and deepest fears drew millions of viewers across
7:03
every background making her show the highest-rated talk show
7:07
in television history off-screen Oprah Winfrey has used her influence
7:12
to support underserved communities and to lift up the lives of young people
7:16
especially young women around the world in her story
7:20
we are reminded that no dream can be deferred when we refuse to let life's
7:25
obstacles keep us down
7:51
freedom honorees place
8:31
right well be a back concludes the formal part
8:35
today ceremony I wanna thank
8:39
all of you for being here obviously
8:42
we r deeply indebted to those who we are here today
8:46
and we're getting up to take some pictures with the honorees and their
8:50
family members
8:51
the rest of you I i understand the food here is pretty good
8:55
so I hope you enjoy the reception
9:00
and I hope we carry away from this
9:04
a reminder love what JFK
9:08
understood to be the essence of the American spirit
9:11
that it's represented here and
9:15
songs maybe less talented but we all have the opportunity to
9:19
to serve them open people's hearts and minds
9:23
you know and and are smaller orbits
9:27
so I hope everybody's been inspired as I have been participating in being with
9:31
these people here today
9:32
thank you very much

No comments:

Post a Comment